Using Back in Stock with products available to preorder
Pre-order items are product variants that are sold out but still available to purchase. Shopify allows you to configure this in the Products area of your Shopify store.
By default Back in Stock won’t:
- appear for a pre-order product
- send customer notifications for a pre-order product that has zero inventory
You can configure both of these settings as described below.
Displaying Back in Stock for products available to pre-order
If you would like Back in Stock to appear when a customer selects a variant available to pre-order:
- From your Back in Stock dashboard choose Customize, Product page button
- From the Behavior tab make sure Show for pre-order items is checked.
- Hit Save button settings
Note: this configures the Back in Stock storefront widget button. If you have built a custom integration in your product template you may wish to check it designed to appear for a pre-order variant.
Delivering customer notifications for pre-order products
Shopify allows products to be pre-order by setting "Allow customers to purchase when sold out" in the Shopify catalog. However, even when a product is available to purchase the default Back in Stock behavioris to only notify customer it is available if inventory is 1 or more.
You can configure Back in Stock to ignore inventory levels and send customer notifications whenever a product is available to purchase. This allows you to notify customers when a product is available to preorder, even if it is not yet in stock.
To configure your account to send customer notifications for pre-order product variants:
- From you Back in Stock dashboard choose Account, Your details
- Check the Send notifications for pre-order products option
- Hit Save account details
It may take a few minutes until the customer notifications are then sent.